Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Island Life

Nuff people say, you know they can't believe,
Jamaica, we have a bobsled team.

Ahh, sorry - I can't enjoy island life without fondly remembering Disney's brave bobsled heroes. The (only) difference between them and me: upon my return to Canada, I will not be competing at the 1984 Calgary Olympics. But not for lack of trying!

Since my last post in Hampi, I've been a real lazy shit regarding the blog. Every time I go online I fully intend to write something, but then get distracted looking up Sass Jordan on Wikipedia or laughing at pictures of -40 winter on Facebook. So it goes. I've visited Bangalore, Kochi/Cochin, Varkala, Alleppey/Alappuzha, Kumily, back to Kochi, flight to Chennai, met up with brother Ben, and flight to the Andaman Islands. Here are some delicious highlights of the past two weeks:
- beef curry in Kerala - first beef in India!
- 24 giant prawns in one sitting
- finally figured out how to eat a pomegranate without making a huge mess
- learned to love masala dosa, yum!

Ben and I touched down in Port Blair, the only proper city in the Andaman Islands, yesterday morning. We bought hammocks, stocked up on cash, ate breakfast and took a ferry to Havelock Island. I'm waggling my fingers over the keyboard - how to describe? Let's just say I'm incredibly happy that we decided to come here. The rain that's plagued me for the past week finally cleared up today as we splayed our lily white bodies out on Radhanagar Beach. Ben starts his open water scuba certification course tomorrow - I'm tagging along to snorkel. In four or five days we're planning to switch to neighbouring Neil Island. The Andamans seem to be a real honeymoon destination for Indian tourists, which I find cute but highly irritating, as I miss Ian terribly.

My posts here will have to remain relatively short, as the internet is slow and expensive. Coming next time: stay tuned for guest blogger Ben Skye Shore!

1 comment:

  1. How do you eat a pomegranite neatly?!
    I still remember the first time I saw a pomegranite - I thought it was the most exotic thing in the world. And it was, for a 10-year-old Yukon kid.
    ...hope you guys are wearing sunscreen (ha).

    ReplyDelete