Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Very Hampi to Meet You

No, I haven't read Shantaram. I don't want to borrow your copy of Shantaram. I'd rather give Yann Martel one of my kidneys - a highly unlikely event. Call it spite, pigheadedness, or good taste: I'm never going to read Shantaram.

As it turns out, I succeeded in driving my motorbike into the ditch; minimal injury and maximal embarrassment. My revised plan is to buddy up with more competent drivers... small scooters have room enough for two people, or a family of eight, depending on your approach.

Yesterday I hopped on with a friendly Irish fella and spent some time at the Sanapur Reservoir, jumping 8-10 metres off giant boulders into the lake. Sweat-free for a precious few minutes! Apparently the "no swimming" and "beware crocodiles" signs were just for show. If only every destination allowed tourists to jump off tall things into cool, predator-free freshwater. Alas.

The town of Hampi is nestled within the ruins of Vijayanagar, a once-great Hindu empire. I think the main city was home to some 500,000 people at its peak. The big draws, with good reason, the Virupaksha Temple and Hanuman (monkey god) temple on Anjanadri Hill. I quite liked the monkey temple, but scootering around the countryside is the best part. Enormous mounds of pink boulders balanced precariously all around. Rice paddies. Lazy rivers. A healthy portion of emptiness. I wish I could describe the visual combination. It's otherwordly.

It's hard to find a place on the backpacker circuit that enjoys unmixed, all-positive reviews. Hampi is one of those rare places that everyone likes. Seems that Mysore has a similarly good reputation - good news, as it's on the itinerary for the Shore Family Jam Band's Christmas tour.

Bangalore in a couple of days. (My next post will be rich with wisdom pertaining to e-commerce.) To be honest, I just want to hit a big city with English-language movie theatres. The cast of Harry Potter is finally old enough - let's get with the lewd comments already.

3 comments:

  1. Ah molls - you are your parents' daughter - needing a movie fix that's not Bollywood! Who knows - you might even be able to get some Arby's and later purge yer innards, in Bangalore! I confess I'm happy to hear you've taken up hitchhiking over scooter driving - tho one now hopes you're very selective about whom you hitch with - could you ask them to demo their mad skills first, before riding with them - just say your mom says you have to...
    Glad Hampi turned out to be a good choice - big country - many options, eh? Ben is pretty excited and into major countdown mode, so have fun with the bro!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried to convince Ben to read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenence after he brutally rebuffed my suggestion that he read Shantaram...I ,of course, have not read either.
    I have however, read Harry Potter and have also enjoyed the films. Enjoyed in a sexy way.

    missing you as always.

    ReplyDelete
  3. but have you seen the deathly hallows? it's crammed full of teen hunks.

    ReplyDelete